CALL FOR PAPERS AND REGISTRATION
On behalf of the Council Board of the European Association of Fish Pathologists and the local Organising Committee we cordially invite you to participate at the Nineteen International Conference of the Association. The conference will be held at Alfandega Porto Congress Centre, Porto, Portugal. We look forward to meeting you at the conference and we are certain that you will enjoy Porto and Northern Portugal.
DATES TO REMEMBER
- DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACT SUBMISSION 22nd March 2019
- DEADLINE FOR EARLY REGISTRATION 19th May 2019
- DEADLINE FOR STANDARD REGISTRATION 31st July 2019
- DEADLINE FOR LATE REGISTRATION 31st August 2019
The Conference will begin with registration (16:00 – 18:00 h) on Sunday 8th September 2019.
The Histopathology Workshop will take place on Sunday 8th September, in the Faculty of Sciences, University of Porto, Department of Biology, Building FC4 (Rua do Campo Alegre 1021/1055, 4169-007 Porto). The workshop is organised by Barbara Nowak, Diane Elliott, Patricia Noguera and Heike Schmidt-Posthaus. Dr. Jeff Wolf, an expert in fish histology will be attending this workshop as a presenter.
The main topic of the workshop will be “skin”.
There is an opportunity to sponsor the workshop, if you would like further information on this opportunity please contact Joana Sousa ([email protected]).
From Monday 9th – Thursday 12th September there will be a full scientific programme of Keynotes, oral presentations, dedicated poster sessions, workshops and roundtables. An EAFP plenary session is also scheduled. On Thursday 12th September the scientific programme of the conference will close with the traditional Conference Banquet. There are two optional study visits on Friday, 13th September, starting and ending at Alfandega.
The primary mean of communication for the conference will be by poster, which will be facilitated by dedicated sessions each day that do not overlap with other activities. The format introduced in 1995, of oral sessions on selected topics given by expert keynote speakers, has been retained for the 19th International Conference. Submissions offered for oral and poster presentations will be subject to peer-review. In addition, there will be several workshops on subjects of interest to aquatic organisms pathologists. The Conference Centre can accommodate smaller meetings of EU project partners and we encourage members to make good use of this facility. However, room hire, and associated costs are not covered by the EAFP and must be paid in advance. For details, please contact Skyros ([email protected]).
The official language of the conference is English.
In addition to the scientific programme the Local Organisers have put together an extensive social programme both for delegates and accompanying persons.
We look forward to meeting you at the conference and we are certain that you will enjoy Porto and the surroundings.
For more details and up-to-date information about the Conference, please visit our homepage www.eafp2019.com
Venue: Alfandega do Porto Congress Centre
The Alfandega Congress Centre welcomes the participants of the 19th International Conference on Diseases of Fish and Shellfish hoping to achieve all the expectations and needs of the event. With a remarkable riverside location in the heart of Porto’s historic centre, Alfandega Congress Centre is a singular building more than 150 years old, constructed as a Customs Building, restored by Eduardo Souto Moura. The entire venue offers Wi-Fi coverage and 22 multifunctional spaces. Alfandega do Porto won the Congress Centre Best Meetings & Conference Centre Europe Business Destinations Travel Award in 2014, 2015 & 2017.
Overlooking the Douro River, Porto is one of the most ancient European cities. It was born and developed from the northern bank of this river during the Middle Ages. One of the most significant aspects of Porto and its historical centre is its landscape, combining harmony with the urban structure and presenting a frame of rare beauty. The city was classified as World Heritage by UNESCO in 1996.
When discovering Porto, you will find many surprises. Besides its welcoming and conservative environment, Porto is also contemporary and artistic. This is shown not only in the streets, architecture, monuments and museums but also in the terraces, restaurants, leisure and shopping areas.
REGISTRATION/ HOSPITALITY DESK
Opening hours during the conference
- Sunday 8th September 16:00 – 18:00
- Monday 9th September 08:30 – 17:30
- Tuesday 10th September 08:30 – 17:30
- Wednesday 11th September 08:30 – 17:30
- Thursday 12th September 08:30 – 17:30
EAFP members benefit from a reduced registration fee. There are also reduced fees for non-EAFP students, therefore confirmation of student status will be required. Registration fees are detailed in the table below. Rates for the conference are priced in Euros.
|Category of Delegate||
(closes 19st May)
(closes 31st July)
(closes 31st August)
|EAFP Student Member||350€||430€||500€|
|Non EAFP Student Member||520€||600€||650€|
Conference registration will open on the 11th February 2019 and delegates will be required to pay the registration fees at time of booking by credit card or by wire transfer.
Note: Information on registration, including payment instructions and bank details will be available at the EAFP website by the end of January.
All changes or cancellations must be addressed in writing to the secretariat Skyros Congressos. Cancellations received:
- before July 9th – full refund will only be granted and deducted of any bank charges including a €30 tax handling fee
- between July 9th and August 9th – 50% refund will be granted
- after August 9th – no refund will be granted
Contributions that fit into one of the following topics (see table below) may be submitted for oral or poster presentation. All submitted contributions will be peer-reviewed by an expert panel. Different oral sessions will be arranged based on the scientific quality of the contributions, the number of papers submitted on each topic and on room availability. Those abstracts not selected for oral presentation will automatically revert to poster presentation and will be placed in a suitable poster session. The decision of the organisers on this matter will be final. In the case of your submissions not being selected for oral presentation, please indicate whether you are willing to present it as a poster.
Please indicate at the time of submission the potential oral sessions in which you wish to present your paper and your order of preference. If the contribution is positively evaluated for oral presentation, the order of preference will be used when possible.
Each oral presentation will be allocated 15 minutes. The actual talk should be no longer than 12 minutes to allow time for questions, discussion and changeover to the next speaker.
The main form of scientific communication in this conference is poster presentation. Indicate at the time of submission your preferences (in order of preference) for the topic that your poster corresponds to. Remember, however, that ANY topic on aquatic animal disease is welcomed.
There is no limit to the number of posters that will be accepted from a single author/group. Posters will be grouped, where possible, according to subject. Please note that prizes for the best three posters – as judged by their succinctness and clarity, conciseness and general ‘appeal’ – will be awarded during the banquet. As poster boards will NOT EXCEED 90 cm (width) X 100 cm (height) size, posters should be prepared to fit this size, in a ‘portrait’ format.
ABSTRACT PREPARATION (All information is provisional)
FORMAT OF ABSTRACTS
Please read this carefully and prepare your abstract in accordance to required specifications, OTHERWISE YOUR ABSTRACT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
The abstract, including the title and references, cannot exceed ONE A4 page in length. Lines should be single-spaced using Times New Roman size 12 font. Each abstract should have the following elements (please do not change the recommended layout).
- Title: the title should clearly identify the contents of the abstract. Capitalise all letters in the title and italicise scientific names.
- Authors: The authors’ names should use the first initials and full last name. If the presenting author is doctoral student or postdoctoral fellow, indicate the name with the hashtag (#). All authors’ names should be written in upper and lower case, not all capitals.
- Affiliations: Use only Institution (omit department, division, branch, street address etc.), followed by city and country. Affiliations should be written in upper and lower case, not all capitals.
- Abstract text: The text of each abstract should be in Times New Roman, plain text, size 12 font, single spaced. The text should contain no more than 350 words. Insert sub or superscripts, italics or other required symbols as necessary. Abstracts should include short: background, methodology, results, conclusions, and funding if any, in order to be reviewed properly and in a timely manner.
In the conference website you will find all the information on the rules and form to submit the abstract.
The authors should ensure that the abstract is written in acceptable, standard English. Authors whose native language is not English are urged to have an English-speaking colleague review the paper before sending it.
Remember that at least one of the authors of each presentation should register at the conference at the time of abstract submission. Abstracts for which none of the authors have registered will not be included in the book of abstracts.
SUBMITTING YOUR ABSTRACT
Abstracts should be submitted via the web site before the deadline of 22nd March 2019. An e-mail is generated automatically on submission. You will receive a notice of acceptance (or transformation of a paper into a poster notification) before closing of the early registration (19th May, 2019). Only if submitters comply with the deadline of 22nd March, 2019, we will be able to view all submissions, decide on the final programme and notify you in time to benefit from the early registration fee. Abstracts must be submitted exclusively electronically by the deadline.
This is the mode of submission. Please follow carefully the instructions when submitting your abstract. Electronic submissions must be received by the deadline of 22nd March, 2019. Please note that there is no issue with author’s confidentiality in respect to EAFP security.
Only in case you are not able to submit your abstract electronically, may you send it by an e-mail, indicating the following:
- Number of abstracts being submitted
- File name of abstract(s) being sent as attachments. Please DO NOT call your abstract EAFP…! Please use the surname of the 1st author in the author list as your file name (e.g. Silva.doc, Stuart.doc etc.)
- Title of the abstract(s) and corresponding file name (for cross-reference)
- Whether the abstract(s) is/are being submitted for oral or poster presentation
- Full name and address of submitting author (including telephone)
- Topic of your submission
- Abstract documents formatted in Word for Windows (Office 2010, maintaining compatibility with previous versions).
- When naming your abstract file please DO NOT call it EAFP…! Use the surname of the 1st author in the author list as your file name (e.g. Silva1.doc, Silva2.doc, Stuart.doc etc.).
- Please carefully check your file for viruses, using the most current virus-checker, before sending it to the Meeting Secretary as an attachment!
In the case of trouble with this procedure, please copy the text of the abstract into the body of the e-mail and send it again to the Meetings Secretary as a normal e-mail.
- Hard copy submission (by mail or fax) will not be accepted
CONGRESS AUDIOVISUAL FACILITIES
A full range of audio-visual facilities will be available at the conference. Speakers must bring their presentations on a USB Memory Stick. It is recommended you bring at least 2 copies of your presentation to the meeting in two different formats, in case there are technical/software issues. The presentation must be delivered at the slide desk at least 30 minutes prior to the lecture.
Address: Av. Antunes Guimarães, 554 | 4100-074 Porto
Email: [email protected]
SPONSORS & EXHIBITORS
The success of the conference is greatly dependent on sponsorship provided by industry and from trade exhibitors. Details of sponsorship packages and exhibition space can be requested to Skyros ( [email protected]).